The Kawaakibi Foundation is an accelerator for thinkers and doers, with a focus on the future of liberty in Muslim communities and in the Arab world. We do original research and collaborate with experts, then amplify knowledge and produce media to make it accessible to a broad audience.
We envision a world free from tyranny, terrorism, and foreign intervention; one in which society trumps the state, extremism and illiberalism have no appeal, and individual rights are sacrosanct.
WHAT WE DO
- Publish platforms. As we launch, we have two platforms. The Arab Tyrant Manual deals with global authoritarianism and the struggle for liberty, with a special focus on the Arab region. Islam & Liberty deals with the clash between authoritarianism and liberty within Islam. A platform focused on strategic nonviolence is also in the works and is scheduled to go live later in 2019.
- Organize activism campaigns. We are proud of our political analysis, but we’re activists at heart. Our team contributed to the #StopFII boycott campaign against Mohammad bin Salman’s “Davos in the Desert” - this is an example of the kind of campaigns we will be involved in. We will only escalate from here on, with two major projects set to launch in 2019.
- Provide consultancy and training on topics related to the future of liberty in Arab and Muslim communities - including activism, social movements, political analysis, the Arab public sphere, democratization, governance, and reform. We also carry out independent research and prepare in-depth reports related to these focus areas.
- Unite our movement. As a fellow Arab activist once said, there’s an army of Arab and Muslim voices for liberty and human rights, but they are isolated from each other and scattered around the world, forced to deal with their unique situations and trauma. Kawaakibi Foundation will work on uniting our movement through collaborations and events, and through working with partners from beyond the Arab region.
- Support at-risk civil society activists. We are constantly monitoring, identifying, and reaching out to at-risk civil society activists and sharing our expertise, network, and resources with them. We will scale this up - with your support - with an eye to start allocating some of our Patreon income to providing breakthrough financial support to key activists and groups.
Extraordinary Team of Passionate Thinkers, Researchers, Designers and Artists.
WHO WAS KAWAAKIBI?
Abdulrahman al-Kawaakibi (1855-1902), was a leading Syrian Muslim intellectual of the Arab renaissance of the 19th century. He was exiled for his fierce advocacy of liberty, constitutionalism and free speech. His influential book “The Nature of Tyranny” continues to inspire over a century after it was published.
"The state of living under tyranny is unnatural and runs counter to God’s intent for humanity"
"Tyranny of the majority is worse than the tyranny of the few, for it has a semblance of legitimacy"
"Political reform always leads to religious reform, and religious reform always leads to political reform"
-Abdulrahman al-Kawaakibi (1855-1902)
please support us
We are registered in Norway as a non-profit organization. We’re developing several major projects for imminent release and our capacities are stretched to the limit.