The Kawaakibi Foundation is launching a research project in memory of Jamal Khashoggi's career as an incisive journalist. The end product will be 5 in-depth investigations related to Saudi Arabia's transition under Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, and the direction he's taking the country in. Most of these investigations have already started, and will be published in appropriate formats in the first third of 2019.
We’re looking for an Editor/Researcher who can help drive these investigations to fruition and write up the results for publishing - initially on a 3-month contract, with the possibility of something longer as our team grows.
The ideal candidate can demonstrate deep interest in the subject matter and interest in the region, possessing background knowledge, analysis and research skills, as well as excellent writing and editing skills in English. Knowledge of the Arabic language and familiarity with the Saudi public sphere is required, awareness or experience of open source investigations is a strong plus. You must be ready to start immediately.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Collate our existing research, develop and add to it
- Write articles for publishing
- Provide editing support for the Arab Tyrant Manual platform
- Help to research and prepare scripts for multiple types of media, including podcasts, on the same topics
- Provide support on other projects as necessary
What we're looking for
- You should have proven skill writing and editing. We'd like to see samples of your work
- You must be a reliable team player with excellent communication skills
- You should approach projects professionally and be comfortable working with ambiguity, in a team juggling multiple projects
- You should be ambitious & want to make an impact. This isn't academic research
- You should care about the region and the struggle beyond just a job - why is this important to you?
- We don’t care where you went to school