Who speaks for Islam, and what is “Islamic”? How do we, as believing Muslims, chart a path to the future? Do we cower away under the pressure of modernity, seeking the comfort of identity? Do we defer to the “official”, state-sanctioned Islamic establishment, even as it advertises its obsequiousness to corrupt dictators? Do we go on a search for the most “authentic” Islam, even as we disagree on matters of basic values? Do we engage in the social and political struggles of our age for justice and liberty, and defer or ignore these pressing questions?
It is out of all of these questions - and more - that our project, “Islam & Liberty”, arose. Our new platform aims to host conversations, contribute to debates, elevate voices, and further ideas. Above all, we want to offer this platform as a home for Muslims around the world who believe passionately in human rights, human dignity, liberty, and social justice - and want to have intelligent conversations that engage their faith, tradition, history, and values.
We aim to produce different kinds of media - articles, in-depth research reports, podcasts, videos and more. We don’t know what this project will evolve into - and we find that kinda exciting. This is a space where Muslims can think - openly, but also robustly - about the future.
Do note that this is not, fundamentally, a theological project. Our founding members are believing Muslims, well read in Islamic history and tradition - but we do not present ourselves as religious scholars or clerics. This takes nothing away from the quality of our work - we will always strive to be lucid, rigorous, curious, and intellectually honest. Our inquiries can delve deeply into topics across history and geography - but our focus will always be on the future. And although we can be quite opinionated when it comes to matters of principle - we will always strive to be receptive and open minded.
We are currently looking for one paid part-time editor, and two more volunteer editors. All roles have the potential to grow into something bigger as our team expands.
Before you apply, make sure you've read our volunteering and hiring philosophy here.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Collate our existing research, develop and add to it
- Write articles for publishing
- Provide editing support for the Islam & Liberty platform
- Help to research and prepare scripts for multiple types of media, including podcasts, on the same topics
- Provide support on other projects as necessary
What we're looking for
- You should have proven skill writing and editing. We'd like to see samples of your work
- You must be a reliable team player with excellent communication skills
- You should approach projects professionally and be comfortable working with ambiguity, in a team juggling multiple projects
- You should be ambitious & want to make an impact. This isn't academic research
- You should believe that Islam has something to say to our lives today
- We don’t care where you went to school, and you don't have to be an expert on Islam, but you have to care deeply about what we want to do and why